Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Artist of the Week: Bob Marley

BOB MARLEY

"One good thing about music: when it hits, you feel no pain" 

My favorite singular music artist. Bob Marley brought Reggae music to a global audience, and is easily the most recognizable Jamaican figure. His lyrics were nothing short of poetry, mixed with the perfect rhythm of reggae music. He was a trail blazer for the genre, and was also associated with amazing reggae talent such as Peter Tosh and Lee "Scratch" Perry; not to mention many of his children, who are great artists.

Although I don't personally agree with his Rastafarian dogma, the vast majority of what he preached in his music was nothing short of true. Ideas such as looking within yourself before you judge others, separating yourself from the materialism of the world, racial equality, and loving one another are all very Biblical in nature. If only mankind could love one another and strive for peace, the world would be an incredible place, of course then there would be no need for Jesus Christ, so such a world is unattainable. But nonetheless, it is something we should all try to accomplish.

I have a very eclectic taste in music, loving everything from country to rap, but I have a particular love of reggae music and Bob Marley is a big part of that. Reggae music moves me in such a way that I can only describe as feeling the music. I apologize for such a cliche, but it is literally as if I can feel reggae music moving through my body as I listen. Bob Marley's knack for incredible lyrics makes the experience all the better. As Elvis is the King of Rock and Roll and Michael Jackson is the King of Pop, Bob Marley is most definitely the King of Reggae. 

If you've never listened to Bob Marley outside of "Three Little Birds" or "One Love" (both amazing songs by the way), I strongly recommend you dive more into his music. You will not be disappointed. Gold and Legend would be good places to start.

My Top 5 Songs
1. Could You Be Loved
2. One Love/People Get Ready
3. Concrete Jungle
4. Lively Up Yourself
5. War/No More Trouble

No comments:

Post a Comment